Thursday, April 15, 2010

Want to Read Another Prodromal Experience from the Laboring Woman's Perspective?

Lynsie linked to this blog as she was (possibly is still?) in the middle of a prodromal pattern of labor a couple weeks ago. I like to divide prodromal labor into two categories--one that takes breaks (and can last weeks--perhaps 5-6 hours or a whole day/night, then not picking up like that again for another day or two), and the other that continues uninterrupted until baby is born (and lasts a couple days or more). It appears that what she experienced is the first pattern--and my favorite, personally!

In her post, she mentions that she's found it a comfort to read my experiences w/this type of labor, and that is exactly why I started this blog. There are too many women who come out of this pattern with no validation for what they've experienced, and from my perspective, it can create a very lonely--even crazy feeling. (More on feeling crazy later--have I got a story for you! I can hardly wait to tell it!)

So, if you are a woman who has stumbled upon this blog because you, too, are experiencing something that you cannot find in printed material or haven't had satisfactory answers from your provider, doula or childbirth educator (there are many who are either not aware it exists or have misconceptions about it), you may find comfort in hopping over to Lynsie's post, Diary of a Laboring Woman. She gives some good detail--helpful for those of us who search for things based on "sypmtoms." You may find her experience to be for you what mine was for her--comforting.

Go check it out. I do hope she posts about how it went!

1 comment:

  1. I just was looking through my bookmarks and stumbled across your blog again. I first found you early last October when I was experiencing prodromal labor although I didn't know that's what it was at the time!

    I was due October 31 but starting experiencing labor weeks before that. It was real but no one believed me. I would labor for several hours every few days and was convinced that my baby was going to be born early. Everyone told me they were fake contractions and I was beginning to feel crazy! The contractions were exactly like what the doctors and books told me to watch for! Your blog was a great comfort to me during those weeks!

    As it is my daughter wasn't born until November 5. I was scheduled to be induced on November 6 at my doctors insistence. When I went into labor on November 4 I was sure(once again)that I was going to have my baby. But, I was so used to the contractions tapering off that I kept quiet - I was afraid that I would be wrong again and people were tired of hearing from me!

    My water broke at home at 12 am November 5 and I have to admit I was a little shocked! My labor was not quick after that... Allison wasn't born until 4:45 in the afternoon. But, the last part sure seemed quick after being in labor for weeks!

    Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to thank you for your blog! You really helped me get through a tough time!

    ReplyDelete